Friday, January 27, 2012

A Proverbs 31 Woman

I have recently been thinking a great deal about being single. I have been single for like.... 2 years or more now? (Not that I necessarily want to be married or have children right now or within the next few years) Sometimes, when I have those days of self-pity, I start to really feel sorry for myself and think "Lord, what is so wrong with me?" Then I realize, I have a Man in my life who would never forsake me, never cheat on me, never ever ever leave me, someone I can tell all of my secrets to and not feel like I will be judged, and who will always love me no matter what life brings and His name is JESUS! That sounds so cliched for a Christian woman to say, but honestly, when you just really think about that, isn't it amazing?! The God of the universe wants an intimate relationship with you and can totally fill all of the voids in your life that you think having a worldly relationship will fill. We all have heard the old quote that says "A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ, that a man must seek Him first to find her." and this has been my adopted quote for life lately. My prayer is that I will fall so much in love with Christ that the idea of being single will never even cross my mind because I am so infatuated with the Lord, and if someone happens to come along and wants to run the race after God with me, then so be it. Also, I have been focusing on a couple different scriptures lately that have brought a great deal of comfort to my soul regarding this topic. These scriptures paint a picture of what an ideal wife should look like based on what the Lord says about it.

A wife should put her husband first, as she does the Lord. -Ephesians 5:22

So many times in my life I do not put the Lord first. Why do I think I could have a relationship with the right perspective, when I do not put the Lord first and foremost in my life EVERY. SINGLE. DAY? 

The steady dripping of rain and the nagging of a wife are one and the same. 
-Proverbs 27:15

Okay, so this one is definitely more on the funny side, seriously?! haha this just cracks me up. But on a serious note, I complain A LOT! I try not to be so negative all the time, but it just leaks out before I can stop it sometimes, and I don't want my husband to hate me because of it. It's something I am working to overcome.

And lastly, my prayer is that I can become a Proverbs 31 woman. 

Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is more precious than rubies. Her husband can trust her and she will greatly enrich his life. She brings him good. not harm, all the days of her life. She finds wool and flax and busily spins it. She is like a merchant's ship, bringing her food from afar. She gets up before the dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plans the day's work for her servant girls. She goes to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard. She is energetic and strong, a hard worker. She makes sure her dealings are profitable; her lamp burns late into the night. Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber. She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms wide to the needy. She has no fear for winter for her household, for everyone has warm clothes. She makes her own bedspreads. She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns. Her husband is well known at the city gates, where he sits with the other civic leaders. She makes belted linen garments and sashes to sell to the merchants. She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness. She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness. Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: "There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!" Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the LORD will be greatly praised. Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise. -Proverbs 31:10-31

I pray with all of my heart that one day when I am married and later when I have children, that I will be the wife that the Lord has laid out here in Proverbs: smart, brave, trustworthy, God-fearing, loving, motherly.... all of these things. I know that I am single because I am not capable of being all of these things right now, and I fully believe that my ministry here in Eugene is best done while being single(not true for everyone here on our team, ie: Q&A, Holleigh and Alec...just me personally) and the Lord is working on me and molding my heart to His will and to be able to one day be the best wife and mother I can possibly be to bring glory to His name. 

So, what does that mean for my life right now? It means I will focus on falling more and more in love with the Lord everyday. It means I will not let being single get me down ANY LONGER. It means I will be satisfied with the life God has placed in front of me. I will chase after His will with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength. 


*Linking Up!
I was referred to this blog today by Kerrie(The Williams Post) and I have been reading it all day! Her name is Casey Wiegand and she is an awesome blogger who is totally transparent in her writings in a way that I wish I could/would be. Go check her out and show her some blog lovin' ;)
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Breanna this post is so gut-wrenchingly honest. I read Proverbs 31 as a check-list against my life right now and sadly met less standards than I'd hope. Especially the lazy one (Its so tempting to take a nap instead of do the dishes, ya know what I mean?) I think you should link this up to this great blog that gets a ton of traffic from Christian girls with hearts just like yours. Here is the link. http://www.thewiegands.com/2012/01/asked-me.html You just click (link up) and then paste in your browser address for this post. Also, its a great place to find other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerrie, I honestly hope that I will remember this scripture and always keep it in my heart so that one day when I am a wife I will have this reminder of who God wants me to be for my husband. I also think you are an awesome wife. I'm sure you guys have your ups and downs like any couple, but you do an awesome job of glorifying God with your marriage and I am totally inspired by you guys! Love you and Wade! :)

      Delete
  2. wonderful post! Keep up being so honest. God has WONDERFUL plans for your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Having this blog is definitely teaching me about being honest and transparent with people on a daily basis. I hope that sometime I will be able to hear someone say they were inspired by my words. I stopped by your blog and you have the sweetest family! I can't wait to read some more of your posts. Thanks for reading and for the encouraging comment!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness breanna! Maybe you should switch your major to journalism or something along those lines:) This was such an awesome post, and such an awesome way to look at those scriptures. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks! But I definitely will not be changing my major any time soon lol... that would be too much writing because I "have to" and then the fun of writing disappears. Glad you like this, tho! I think it helps put being single in perspective to a woman.. and knowing that IF and WHEN God says we are ready for a relationship with someone other than Him, it will happen and it will be great! As long as both people are chasing after the Lord... which, I believe, that if two people are searching after God and they fall in love with each other, than it has to be great as long as they continue the run to God together! :)

      Delete

blog love